Our Father

Sunday Morning Service, 6/20/10

Songs

  • [ Let All The People Praise Him]
  • [ I Saw The Light]
  • [ I’ll Fly Away]
  • [ I Bless Your Name]
  • [ Alpha And Omega]
  • [ Above All]
  • [ You Are Worthy Of My Praise]
  • [ God is Alive]
  • [ Let God Arise]
  • [ All To You]

Testimonies

> Mark Sanders

You know, God puts us through tests and allows us to go through things. Many of you know that I own my own company, and that’s not always as cool as it seems. You don’t always get paid every week, or even every two weeks. Sometimes it stretches out to a month. But I’m keeping myself positive.

> Bruce Avants

I really appreciated that song, because I’m “old-school.” I’m also learning to “tweet” and “blog” and all sorts of things. But we’re all God’s people, and that will never change. We all come in to fellowship on Sunday morning. So when you see your brother or sister out in town, take the extra time to cross the street and say “Hi” to them.

> Ben Schoch

I got saved in August of 1990 in Waukegan. What was it that kept me going all that time? (By the way, if you see someone who has been in the ministry as long as I have, that just means they’ve had more opportunity to make mistakes.) I have to make each day a new day. Today is going to be a victorious day. Yesterday is a wash, but today is a new day. And if you keep doing it, before you know it, you’ll be close to the end of your life, and saved.

Message: Our Father

> Pastor Paine

I’m going to talk to you about your relationship with God on this father’s day.

The scripture doesn’t tell us about the prodigal son’s relationship with his father, but it does tell us that one day the son took his inheritance and went out in town and wasted it “with riotous living.” Even today, there are those who are involved with what the scripture refers to as riotous living. But it came to pass that he realized that he had not chosen the better part. When he came back, he found his father waiting for him, and there was a great reunion.

There were different phases of his life. There was a time in his life when he thought his father was wise and brilliant, and there was a time when he thought his father was foolish. There was a time when he didn’t want his father’s input, and there was a time when he realized he couldn’t go it alone.

I’m talking about a relationship with our heavenly father today. It’s my prayer that each of you will see your relationship with God move in the right direction today: get better; be blessed.

In the Old Testament there was a warrior named David. He was the one who killed Goliath. He loved God, and God loved him. Goliath died at the hand of David because he knew that God would do what he said he was going to do. In the New Testament, Paul said “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

There came a time in David’s life, when he was king, that he told God to turn the other way. “I’m going to do it my way, God.” The scripture doesn’t record the actual words, but he must have felt in his heart that it wasn’t any of God’s business what he did with his life. He saw a woman on a rooftop, and went to her, and slept with her. Then when she was with child, he tried to find a way to cover up his sin. He invited her husband, Uriah, to return from the battlefield and spend time with his wife, but Uriah wouldn’t do it, and David knew that he had to cover up his sin. So he had Uriah killed on the battlefield.

The prophet Nathan showed David that he was wrong, and David repented. You can read it in Psalms 51:10-15.

I’d like to share with you something I found about relationships with a father:

  • 4 years: “My Daddy knows everything.”
  • 8 years: “My Dad is really smart.”
  • 12 years: “My Dad probably doesn’t know that.”
  • 16 years: “My Dad is absolutely clueless!”
  • 21 years: “Dad is pretty out-of-touch.”
  • 30 years: “I’d like to find out what Dad thinks.”
  • 40 years: “Let’s get Dad’s opinion before we make a decision.”
  • 50 years: “I wish I could ask my Dad about that. He’s pretty smart.”
  • 60 years: “My Dad knew absolutely everything.”
  • 70 years: “I’d give anything if Dad were here. I really miss him.”

How’s your relationship with your heavenly father?

Jesus began his sermon on the mount, and preached for a long time. He preached about our relationship with God, and how it is that we accept what God has for us. Then he comes to the part of how to pray:

Matthew 6:9-13
  1. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
  2. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
  3. Give us this day our daily bread.
  4. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
  5. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

When I was a young child, I learned to say that prayer really fast. If you do it right, you can get it out in about four seconds. But let’s read it slow, so that this prayer is not only my words, but it is my walk.

> “My father, which is in heaven, I hallow your name. I speak your name not lightly, but with understanding that you are God; you made me. You gave me free will, which is a fearful and wonderful thing. Let things be so orderly in earth that they mirror what is in heaven.”

As you say this prayer, you realize that it’s about how to live. Some of you, as you went to buy a Father’s day card, you read the words and wished that your relationship could be more like those words.

After the prayer, Jesus continues to teach us how to evaluate our life:

Matthew 6:14-15
  1. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
  2. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Sometimes I like to turn a scripture around. “Your heavenly father will forgive you, if you forgive your debtors.” Jesus is teaching us that if we forgive, we’ll be forgiven. This is more than a prayer; it’s a way to evaluate your life. If you have unforgiveness in your heart, then it needs to be eliminated. Forgiveness is the greatest gift that you can give yourself. When you forgive someone else their trespasses, you set the template for how you want your heavenly father to treat you.

Matthew 6:16
  1. Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

> (melodramatically) “Oh, I’m going to fast, for the glory of God. Don’t give me any food; I’ll be all right. Just a little water.”

Jesus tells us that we should do what we do for the glory of God, and do it quietly. That’s not just in our fasting; that’s even in our living.

Matthew 6:17-18
  1. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
  2. That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

That’s true about the way we fast, the way we love, the way we live, and the way we treat others.

Matthew 6:19
  1. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

I have heard some teach on this and say that you shouldn’t have a savings account. I don’t believe that. But I do believe that your most valuable asset should be that you know your name is written in the lamb’s book of life.

That doesn’t mean that you should spend all of your paycheck on the first day that you get it, or that you shouldn’t have any savings. In fact, I believe that God teaches us that we should be wise stewards.

Matthew 6:20-21
  1. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
  2. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Your heart has to be with God, to have the peace that God wants you to have on earth. A few weeks ago, i brought a message called “Religion versus Relationship.” In that message, I told you that if your religion ever becomes uncomfortable, focus on your relationship. We aren’t going to be completely comfortable on earth. Other people make decisions that affect our lives. Some people say “Why are people hungry? Why are there wars?” Because God gave us free will, and that is what we chose. You say, “I don’t know anyone who chose to starve.” But some chose to be greedy. If you read Genesis starting at chapter one, you’ll find that man has made bad choices from the beginning.

Matthew 6:22-23
  1. The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
  2. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

If we’re focused on the right things, we’ll be full of light. But if we focus on evil, then we eliminate that light. You make a choice what you look at, what you focus on, what your perspective is. So many times, we think that we’ve just been given a bad situation.

Matthew 6:24
  1. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
James 1:8
  1. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Maybe you have chosen to hurt your relationship with your heavenly father, either by the way you’ve treated your father, or by the way you’ve treated others. On this father’s day, you can make a choice to change that relationship.

Matthew 6:25
  1. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

How many of you have a refrigerator?

> (Nearly everyone raised their hands)

How many of you have food in your refrigerator?

> (Nearly everyone raised their hands)

My wife and I are so blessed that not only do we have food in our refrigerator, but we also have a freezer in the garage with food in it, too.

Pastor Ulysse preached a message not long ago and asked how many men above the age of twenty-one have ever gone three days with no food or water at all. Nobody raised their hand. But he went on to say that he suspects that if he had asked that question in Haiti, every single man above the age of twenty-one would raise his hand.

Matthew 6:26
  1. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Recently, I was in a worship service at our fellowship in Great Lakes, and a man who is a master-plumber who is my age or older (so he’s ancient), said “For the last eighteen months, I’ve been unemployed, and yet God has blessed me. Every bill is paid; I haven’t missed a meal.” That’s what the scripture is talking about. God knows our needs. When we feel our situation is perilous, that’s the time to build our relationship with our heavenly father.

I’m praying that as you hear these words today, you’ll examine your relationship with your heavenly father and see at least one aspect that needs to change for the better.

[Matthew 6;27-29]

God even dresses up nature. I’m not against dressing-up. I’ve had occasion to dress in a tux.

Matthew 6:33
  1. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Maybe what you’re hearing in this message is, “I’ve worried too much and not trusted enough.” Let’s all say it softly, so that the one who really needs to say it out loud doesn’t feel alone. I’ll say it first: “I have worried too much and not trusted enough.”

> I have worried too much and not trusted enough.

> I have worried too much and not trusted enough.

> I have worried too much and not trusted enough.

Somebody said, “I’m not worried. I’m not going in to work in the morning.” That’s a good way to ensure that you won’t get the next promotion.

Matthew 7:1
  1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.

That’s one of the top mis-quoted scriptures of all times. But listen to how he goes on and it will explain what he means.

Matthew 7:1-2
  1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
  2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

(Didn’t he just say not to judge?) But read in context and see what it means. One of the tricks that Satan plays is to get you to judge somebody’s motive. If the devil can get us to think about their motive in an improper way, then he drives a wedge between us and our brother, or sister, or mother, or father, or our heavenly father. “If God is good, then why do bad things happen?” The reason bad things happen is because we have free will. But Satan tries to get us to judge God’s motive. We know that he’s the giver of all good and perfect gifts. Remember the parable of the talents? What did the man say who had buried his talent? He blamed God because he was scared and hid his talent.

I’m going to tell a story that is embarrassing, because I’m the dummy in this story. It’s a story of how I let my natural brother hurt my feelings, because I interpreted his motive. I did one tour in the Navy and left as an E-4. My job in the Navy was that I was a cook. I liked cooking (I like cooking now, but I like eating better.) I was a cook for four years. My twin brother retired from the Navy as a captain. His last job in the Navy was the commanding officer of the base I was in. One day when we were together, my brother said, “My brother Pete and I were in the Navy. He was a fryer, and I was a flier.” And I took offense. The next time we were together, I decided to set my brother straight. I said, “Paul, would you come with me? I’ve got something to say to you. You remember when you said, ‘while I was flying, you were frying?’ He didn’t remember. “You remember when we were together, you talked about what I did in the Navy. I served with distinction and honor. I was a 4.0 sailor. I was sailor-of-the-quarter.” And my brother said, “I don’t remember what I said, but I want you to know that I’ve always spoken well of what you did in the Navy. I’ve always held you in the highest esteem.” And I was left wondering how I’d ever gotten it in my mind that he had thought differently.

Whose fault was that? The devil.

Matthew 7:1-3
  1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
  2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
  3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Hello?

Matthew 7:4
  1. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

When you see a fault in a brother or a sister, stop looking at that fault and start looking at your own. When you see a fault in a brother or a sister’s life, you’ve got one, too. The scripture tells us to go to the mirror and find it. That’s the one you should work on.

In case you didn’t get it, he goes on with these words:

Matthew 7:5-7
  1. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
  2. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
  3. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

If you ever feel painted in a corner, go to verse seven.

Matthew 7:8-11
  1. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
  2. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
  3. Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
  4. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Yes, Jesus said that you and I, because of our human nature, are evil. Our goal is to be strive to be righteous. I like to read it, “If you then, being human…”

Let me share with you some things that I got out of this message, as I looked at the man in the mirror:

  • Quit finding faults in others.
  • Quit thinking you know why people do what they do.
Matthew 7:24-29
  1. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
  2. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
  3. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
  4. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
  5. And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
  6. For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.